Friday, March 20, 2015

Different Ways to Light a Town Center

After character lighting, I continued with exterior set lighting. Getting a basic lighting for a set is not difficult. The difficulties mainly come from working with a large file and fixing mistakes in the model; not from lighting itself.

Creating a good-looking mood lighting, though, takes more effort. The first difficulty is designing interesting lighting schemes. I researched for ideas at Pinterest. There are many boards there to get lighting schemes from, such as 2D3D_env board and Digital Environments board.

Next step is implementing the lighting schemes I picked, which are 2D paintings, in a 3D scene. Using 3ds Max Daylight System with mental ray Sun & mental ray Sky helps a lot. I spent most of my time placing the Sun. After that, I only needed to make minor adjustments. One interesting step is perhaps about getting cloud shadow. I experimented placing a floating box near the Sun and was pleasantly surprised that mental ray Sun creates a soft shadow as expected. I used this trick for the "Morning" image. If you know another trick, please share it in the comments.

I did color corrections in Photoshop. Color Balance adjustment layers are effective to get colors close to those in the lighting schemes. I also cheated lighting quite a bit. For example, in the "Morning" image, I used an extra rim lighting on the foreground tree to get more details. In the "Sunrise" image, I brightened the bright line along the road, which made the lit wall on the left extremely bright. I hand-painted a layer mask so that only the road was brightened.

As always, feel free to tell me what you think in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment